By: Cresta Lewis
It’s that time of year. Businesses are planning for 2016, and some are likely looking to change up their marketing mix…maybe even considering hiring a PR professional or agency to tackle the oftentimes misunderstood PUBLIC RELATIONS.
Here are five things you need to know before you engage with a PR pro:
- PR is NOT just media relations. Sure, any firm you hire can probably get stories about you in the news. And that’s valuable. But media relations is not the only tool, and it’s not the end-all-be-all when it comes to PR. PR pros write content, they manage social media, they execute email marketing. You must integrate media relations and all other efforts into the bigger strategic marketing picture in order for it to be effective.
- You must be willing to share your challenges and goals. In order to measure success, you must be comfortable sharing your business goals, as well as any challenges your business may be facing with the firm you are looking to hire. Share your business plan, measurable objectives and what you want to accomplish.
- You must have realistic expectations. Success doesn’t happen overnight. And neither does public relations. It takes time to build relationships and awareness, and time for you to see a return on your investment
- Think of the agency as your partner. You’re in this together. You – as the client – need to make time to spend with the firm you hire. Or make sure someone in your organization has the time to spend. You know your business better than anyone else, so you need to stay involved, educate and be willing to pitch in. Communication is the key to success.
- Step outside of your comfort zone. You might need to do things you’re not used to doing, like having a presence on social media, creating videos or executing a creative, out-of-the-box idea. But you will likely build your brand and gain awareness more quickly than you will without these things.